Sunday, June 1, 2008

A visit from Babe and Dad

One of the most highly anticipated events of the spring was a visit from my little brother and my dad. First came Bret and Jessica. They began their vacation in San Diego where Bret was in a friend's wedding. After spending a few nights with Chad, they flew up to be with C and me for a few days. Unfortunately, it was a busy time for me with classes, work and Open House, but we made it work. They were able to see San Francisco and tour around the Napa Valley and Bret was even my Surprise Reader at school one day! We loved having them here and too soon it was time for them to go. We drove them to Southern California on Memorial Day weekend. Dad was already at Chad and Kelly's and it was the weekend of Kirk's Medical School graduation. I got to spend Saturday with my family while C spent the day with his. On Monday we picked up Dad and headed north. On the way we stopped at Pea Soup Andersen's, a fun stop we often make on our trips to and from So. Cal. Daddy even got a little silly with me and took a photo at the cut-outs. The week was a whirlwind, but we had a wonderful time! Dad visited my classroom several times and was able to meet my kids, co-workers, principal, superintendent, parents...he met them ALL! He visited the crick behind my school and also came to be Surprise Reader, except I talked him into telling a story instead. The kids LOVED it! Dad also had the opportunity to explore San Francisco, drive up to the Napa Valley and PUC to visit Aunt Shirley, and to explore the area around where we live as well. C and I took Thursday off to drive dad around on an excursion. We started at Alice's, the famed restaurant on the mountain. From there we drove the windy road down to the ocean and Half Moon Bay. It's a beautiful little coastal town that has many cute shops and cafes. We spent the afternoon walking up and down Main Street and in and out of all the little shops. It was a perfect afternoon! On our way back we took dad to our favorite running trail, Sawyer Camp Trail. It was fun to show him a spot where we have spent numerous hours running and walking. The rest of the week was spent relaxing and catching up. We went to Mountain View Adventist Church and were able to see some of dad's friends that he hadn't seen in years. Sunday came far too quickly and it was time to say "Good-bye!" as he hopped on a plane headed back to So. Cal. to spend a few more days with Chad's family. What a wonderful time for us! Let's do it again soon!!

No comments: