Monday, September 22, 2008

Fun in San Francisco


Every year around this time thousands of people migrate to San Francisco for Oracle OpenWorld, an amazing week that features tech giant Oracle. It's quite a sight and Oracle will stop at nothing to impress! As for those who work for George P. Johnson Company it's another story! This year was C's 5th time on this event and second time being the head of the onsite technology team. Needless to say, the months, weeks and days leading up to the event were....stressful. Yet, despite a few minor (okay, maybe a little more than minor) glitches, they pulled off yet another successful event!! HOORAY! I LOVE this show! I love living in the city for a short period of time and delight in watching the event take place. It is really quite fascinating to watch them put up giant banners, build stages and tents and then in just a few days tear it down to get ready for the next event. It is mindboggeling to think of all that goes into making something like this happen! So, even though we no longer live just 20 minutes south of San Francisco, I still HAD to be there! Luckily, I was able to fly down on Friday and sneak in a jam-packed weekend before having to go back to work first thing Monday. Janet had planned to spend the weekend with us, which was wonderful and worked out so nicely. She picked me up at the airport Friday night and we drove into the city to stay at the Parc 55. Saturday morning while she was getting a tooth fixed, I went on a run down to the Ferry Building and back. I love going there on Saturday mornings. It is alive and buzzing with people from all over looking for fresh produce at the weekly Farmer's Market. There are many sidewalk vendors that are selling anything from jewelry to photo art. It's wonderful! We spent the majority of the day walking around and sightseeing and even got to meet up with C's cousins and aunt who were there for the night. We enjoyed some hot drinks while sitting in the middle of Union Square. What a delight!! Saturday evening we got to have dinner with three of my favorite girls and my previous rock-star team; Tracy, Stacy and Sonja. We ate at a delicious vegetarian restaurant called Golden Era. I HIGHLY recommend it! What a great night! Sunday was spent shopping, visiting C and taking the tour at Moscone. The day was topped off by meeting up with Candy and Dean and heading to the 49er game!!! They were playing the Lions at home and they actually WON!! YIPPEE! I had to head back after that, but I did so with a big smile on my face!!

No comments: