Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Bucks and Banana Slugs

We had visitors this weekend! The much anticipated visit from my brother, sister-in-law and niece finally came. They arrived Saturday afternoon after traveling over from visiting my SIL's dad near Tahoe. C and I were so excited to have them come. Tired though they may have been, my niece was all about running around at the park across from our place. She loves play structures and wasted no time at all exploring every inch of it. Later that evening the five of us headed up to San Mateo for dinner and a tour of the town. Yes, we still love it there and continue to claim it as our own. Sunday morning we took them to our favorite local restaurant, Buck's. It is a fun, eclectic place that has yummy food and they serve breakfast until 2pm on Sundays! I think they really enjoyed it and I loved walking my niece around the place looking at all the interesting objects and paraphernalia. After breakfast we headed over to my classroom so they could take a peek. My niece loved the markers...so much so that she tattooed herself with them! Once "Uncle Nunu" washed her off we headed off to the crick that flows behind my school. It is a wonderful place that I often visit with my kindergartners. Apparently my big brother had never seen a banana slug before and luckily for him there were masses of them out and about. We had a wonderful time playing and getting muddy. Soon after they were on their way to San Francisco to visit my SIL's brother. C and I stayed home and did work and homework. We had a yummy dinner together that evening and made plans for the three of them to visit me in my classroom the next day. Monday brought big excitement for me and my students. Previous to the visit, my "kiddos" had thought of the idea of writing a book for my niece. This, after hearing so much about her and the rest of the family. They were so excited to present their book to her and I think she was excited to be in the classroom meeting all of them. Recess time was spent with my niece running the playground and all the kindergartners following her lead. They loved it! All too soon the time came for them to be on their way back to southern California. I hate it when that happens. I can't wait to see them at the end of the month!!

No comments: