Thursday, May 8, 2008

Birthday Bliss!

Today is my birthday! I can't say why or where it stems from, but I have always loved my birthday. It's just such a happy day and no matter what, it makes me smile when I wake up and know it's my birthday! Today began with a song and got better and better. I love being serenaded by friends and loved ones and were it not my birthday it may not otherwise happen. C swears I am the only girl he's ever sung to, I like that. Once a year he will unabashedly burst into song and I absolutely love it! I was greeted at the door by 16 of my favorite little five year olds. They were wearing smiles and came with cards and flowers and lots of excitement. Being that it was my birthday, I got to call the shots today, so we began our day by dancing The Chicken Dance, which we often do and they know how much I love it. We spent the morning in Reader's Workshop and the whole time I was just blown away by how much they have grown. They are so excited about school and learning to read. It is the most amazing thing to sit in the middle of my classroom of little ones and have it so completely quiet you could hear a pin drop because they are all engaged in their reading. It's AMAZING! A beautiful way to begin the day. At snack and recess time the kids from all three classes gathered together to sing to me and Tina, our wonderful aide, passed out donut holes for everyone (except the teachers...we got yummy donuts!). After our Math/Science/Social Studies block, I was about to have sharing time, when again I was serenaded by all three classes and their teachers. They had made a book for me that had "Happy birthday!" messages from all the kids and had some gifts for me to open as well. We do birthdays big in kindergarten! :) Then, of course, we all did The Chicken Dance together! All 47 kindergartners, 4 teachers and parent helpers! It was great fun, I loved it!! The afternoon brought a trip to the crick behind the school. It was the first visit of the year, and we all had the best time! We hunted for banana slugs, fished for tadpoles, splashed, waded, ate strawberries, climbed, played with clay and mud, laughed, and sang! Nobody wanted to leave. It was beautiful and serene. They are begging to go back! A perfect way to end the day. I sent them home wet, muddy, and slimy.....but happy! After school my co-workers, Tracy and Stacy, treated me to a pedicure. We had a lovely time sitting in massage chairs getting our feet rubbed and scrubbed and chatting together. I cherish those moments. My evening was spent with C. I was so happy he was able to get away from work so we could spend the evening together. He made reservations for us at a vegetarian restaurant called Millenium in San Francisco, which is where we've been staying for the past week. We have wanted to go their for a long time and it was well worth the wait. Our dinner was, hands down, the best food we've ever had! It was so delicious! Later that evening, after returning to the hotel, I had the opportunity to listen to the many messages I had missed on my phone. I am so blessed. I have the most loving, caring, and thoughtful friends and family any one could ever ask for. I appreciate so very much every card, email, voicemail, and phone call. I love birthdays.

No comments: